Of all the centers opened by the Ministry of the Environment to protect endangered species, this is the only one in Japan dedicated to seabirds.
Teuri Island is a precious breeding ground for many seabirds, such as the Common murre (in Ororon Island), and the Rhinocerous aucklet.
A wide variety of information regarding the sea birds and their habitats are displayed in an interesting and easy to understand way.There are also many hands-on displays that grab the interest of children and adults alike.
|Open from November to March: from 9:00am to 5:00pm (on weekdays)
from 9:00am to 4:00pm, (on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays)
Closed: Mondays, the day before a national holiday and at during the new year period
|Hokkaido Seabird Center
Kita 6-jo 1-chome, Haboro Town, Tomamae-gun,
It is said Haboro may have taken its name from the Ainu word "Haburu"(soft place), or "Haporopetsu"(wide, grand flowing river)"
Haboro Town museum features a collection of precious fossils that have been unearthed in the area, together with all kinds of other old artifacts.
From the Keicho Period (1596-1615) to the Edo Period (1603-1868), the area of Haboro was ruled by the Matsuura Clan, after which many settlers came attracted by the rivers rich in both fish and gold dust.
During the Meiji Period (1868 to 1912), many farmers and fishermen relocated to Haboro, causing the population to increase dramatically.
Herring fishing was the main industry in Haboro from 1887 until 1955, when herring could no longer be caught from this coast.
Then came the Japanese settlers.
From 1939, the coal industry started in earnest, and at its peak supported more than 10,000 workers. However, the energy revolution shifted our main energy consumption from coal to petrol, causing the mines to close in 1970.
In the museum you can find a cast collection of artefacts from the coal mining era, and can hold and touch some of the items to get a real sense of what it was like to be a miner. The museum also houses a collection of precious press photos from the Haboro Coal Railroad Transportation company. Due to the energy revolution which favored petrol over coal, in 1970 the mines sadly had to be closed The industrial part of the museum has a wide range of artefacts from both the herring fishing and coal mining eras.
Opening Period: From May 1 to October 31
Opening Hours: From 10:00am to 4:00pm
Closed: on Mondays (on Tuesdays if it coincides with a national Holiday)
Entry Fee: Adults: 210 yen, Children ( 18 years and younger): Free
|Haboro Town Museum of Regional Arts and Crafts
Minamimachi 20, Haboro-cho, Tomamae-gun,
In 1848, 24 year old sailor Ronald McDonald, who was part of the crew of an American whaler, got stranded on Yagishiri Island while looking for falcons' nests. Desperate to find his companions, he managed to reach Rishiri Island by himself, where was captured by the Matsumae Clan, who took him to the city of Nagasaki and imprisoned him as an illegal immigrant. During his imprisonment, McDonald taught English to a Japanese official who released him back to America after just 7 months.
Yagishiri Regional Museum is a modern looking wooden building that opened in 1900 using the former house of the Kono family, and which is now registered as a Hokkaido Designated Cultural Property. The Kono family was originally from Ishikawa prefecture, and were merchants who ran fishing, kimono fabric and other commodities businesses. They also ran a post office and operated a telegram service. The museum features a collection of furniture and everyday items that belonged to the Kono family.